Nenad Jukić, author of Database Systems: Introduction to Databases and Data Warehouses, held a workshop to discuss how the database course is foundational to the Data Analytics curriculum and discuss best practices for teaching the database course in this context.In the video below, Nenad Jukić covers the following and more:
- Examines how the database course is foundational to the Data Analytics (DA) curriculum.
- Describes how Database Systems: Introduction to Databases and Data Warehouses by Nenad Jukić was explicitly developed to cover both transactional and analytical databases. Indeed, the materials in the transactional database section anticipate their use in the analytical database section. Conventional database textbooks emphasize transactional databases and have limited coverage of analytical databases.
- Presents a pathway and alternatives to best navigate the textbook so as to concisely cover the knowledge and skills DA students need most.
- Demonstrates free software (ERDPlus.com) that supports analysis of both transactional and analytical databases.
- Introduces a semester-long “Database and Data Warehouse Project” that facilitates the extended hands-on practice DA students need. Details for this project are posted on the instructor resources site for the textbook.